WE DO NOT ACCEPT ANY REVIEW REQUESTS AT THE MOMENT.

NetGalley badges

50 Book Reviews Reviews Published Professional Reader 80% 100 Book Reviews

Wednesday 11 December 2019

ATEEZ's MAMA 2019 Performance - None of us saw this coming, not even BTS

By Yuli Atta
Google images

Ateez's MAMA performance had us, Atiny, all shook. 

At first, when I found out that Ateez was going to do a mashup performance, I was slightly disappointed. It's been a whole year since their debut and they already have 3 minialbums and one full album out, so they definitely have enough songs for a full performance. Of course, it also depends on how long their time-slot is. It seems like BTS's performances are the longest which is understandable. They are the biggest K-pop act right now and it's understandable why newer bands would get a shorter time slot. However, Ateez has more than enough content for a performance consisting of only their songs. 


I didn't know what to expect from the performance. I knew it would be amazing but, personally, I'm not a big fan of mashups myself. I needn't have worried because Ateez, they snatched all our wigs! They performed their own title track Wonderland mixed with BTS's Blood Sweat and Tears (one of my personal favourites), SHINee's View and miss A's Goodbye Baby and it was amazing. 

Google images
Something that I really enjoyed about the whole performance is that they took those songs and made them their own by including their own style in them. You can clearly see that in Blood Sweat and Tears when they change the melody just a bit to match Wonderland. Ateez's stage presence has always left me speechless because for a rookie group it's impressing and always on point. All of the members get their chance to shine and all of them got enough lines to demonstrate their abilities. 

Something that all of us, Atinys, are proud of is their Blood Sweat and Tears performance from the beginning of the show because the cameramen showed BTS's reactions and they clearly enjoyed Ateez's performance. You could clearly see Jungkook looking like a proud dad and Jimin and J-Hope enjoying the performance and J-Hope even showing thumbs-up. 
JK's 'proud dad' look (Google images)
Jimin, J-Hope, and Namjoon at the back (Google images)
What's more, all of the members got their lines because usually some of them like Yeosang would barely get any but in this case, it seems like Hongjoong, the leader of Ateez, sacrificed most of his lines in order for the others to have as many as possible and to have their chance to shine on stage. 


Something none of us saw coming, however, was Mingi's performance. At least I didn't see it coming, although I probably should have. 

During Ateez's promotions for their comeback Wonderland, Mingi was absent for more than a month due to health issues. He rejoined Ateez for their MAMA performance after the doctors confirmed he was able to and boy, did he deliver a great performance and also... a giant surprise for all of Atiny.

Google images
It's been a full week since this happened and I'm still not over it. 

What's more, Ateez received the Worldwide Fan Choice top 10 award at MAMA which is totally deserved!

Left to right: Jongho (holding the award), Hongjoong, Mingi, San, Yeosang, Yunho, Seonghwa and Wooyoung
 (Google images)
As a fan, I am so proud of them, of what they've achieved this year and of their MAMA performance. What I loved the most was how they got to perform one of BTS's songs in front of BTS themselves and got their approval because Ateez is known for being big BTS fanboys. I can only imagine how much this means to them. 

What's more, you can also watch BTS's, TXT's and Monsta X's reactions to their performance. Aside from BTS, some of Ateez are friends with TXT and Jongho, who is the maknae (youngest) of the group is also a big Monsta X fan and he got to show off his amazing vocals in front of them. You could clearly see them nodding their heads to the rhythm the whole time.

After I watched their performance multiple timeс I came across a fancam which shows their full performance without cutting back to BTS. While I loved seeing my ultimate K-pop group react to my second ultimate K-pop group, I hadn't realised that I missed a wholesome Woosan (Wooyoung + San) moment and I need to share it with all of you.
All in all, this is my favourite Ateez performance of this year and I'm so glad Mingi is back and is feeling better. They got an award and got noticed by their idols so I couldn't be happier for them. What's more, they are touring soon and are coming to London in March. Unfortunately, I can't go but I'm gonna support them in other ways until I can actually afford to go to one of their concerts.

For a K-pop group coming from a smaller company, they are growing quite fast and I love that for them because they are clearly talented and we stan that.
Google images

No comments:

Post a Comment

BOOK REVIEW: Shards of Earth by Adrian Tchaikovsky

  Purchase Links: Amazon UK  |  Amazon US  |  Bookshop.org  |  The Broken Binding  |  Waterstones Hi Guys, I'm following up my Spotlight...