WE DO NOT ACCEPT ANY REVIEW REQUESTS AT THE MOMENT.

NetGalley badges

50 Book Reviews Reviews Published Professional Reader 80% 100 Book Reviews

Monday 24 February 2020

BOOK REVIEW: The Kingdom of Copper by S. A. Chakraborty

By Yuli Atta


(You can also find this review on GOODREADS.)

This review will also be just my rambles that I hope to end up making sense.

I wasn't completely sold on the whole plot for a while and the book was a solid 3-star read for me until the middle and after that, especially the last 200 just raised the stakes and my rating because, oo my god, the DRAMA, the fights, the DANGER and that ENDING!

I enjoyed the story a lot more and while I missed Nahri and Ali's friendship from before I enjoyed their interactions here.

Muntadhir was very very annoying and while I hoped he'd become at least friends with Nahri, I understand why he behaved the way he did. I still didn't like it though. I was also living for every small scene he had with Jamshid because I lose their interactions.

I'm trying to be vague bc I don't want to spoil anything unintentionally.

I really wanted to see a bit more of Jamshid, especially at the end and I hope we get to have more scenes with him.

A certain daeva was very annoying in this book, he got the 3rd POV and I just can't because I really liked him in the beginning and now I just don't get it. I also wasn't the biggest fan of his POVs. They were a way to show us the other side and prepare us for the havoc they'd wreak but for a long time, I was bored with it because I wasn't at all that interested in that POV. Granted, it was a good way of showing us some of the characters and their relationships but at the same time, I don't think they had enough page time.

I really liked the end and I have so many questions. I can't wait to read The Empire of Gold (I just got approved for an ARC from NetGalley!) and hopefully, everything would be answered because, omg, the last 50 pages were lit and Muntadhir is still among my faves even if he's an ass sometimes.

What's more, Zaynab grew on me and her mother is also amazing, I wish they had more scenes because they were awesome. I'm always in for some strong. clever, scheming and rebellious women in my books who don't make stupid decisions for the sake of the plot.

One thing that got me very annoyed was that everybody was trying to paint Ali as the villain when he's the only one who actually thinks logically. However, I get where both POVs are coming from so I understand but doesn't mean that I like it. I still like Ali a lot and I kind of relate to him. Another thing connected to him is that I don't get why everybody thinks it's him who gives Nahri ideas when it was clear from bk 1 that she does whatever she wants. I was annoyed that everybody would think it was Ali who put ideas in her head like she couldn't think on her own.

I could see the development in both Ali ad Nahri in this book. I liked Ali a lot from the first book but Nahri finally grew on me and after finishing the book I found myself missing the characters so much and wondering what would happen next.

I found their magic to be very interesting and I certainly am curious about what's going to happen next because of the ending. I am simply shook.

Anyway, the story was a bit slow in the beginning and I switched to the audiobook for multiple reasons but wow, I enjoyed it a lot and this review is a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BOOK REVIEW: Shards of Earth by Adrian Tchaikovsky

  Purchase Links: Amazon UK  |  Amazon US  |  Bookshop.org  |  The Broken Binding  |  Waterstones Hi Guys, I'm following up my Spotlight...